[LUAU] Recycling or Trashing

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Wed Jun 9 12:00:50 PDT 2004

Over the last few years I have heard a lot of misinformation about
proper and legal disposal of monitors.  I want to clarify this, to the
best of my understanding, so that we all make the right decision with
older equipment.  Most of my information came from the morning I spent
volunteering some time at CompUSA helping the Computer for Kids
recycling program.  One of the engineers from our solid waste department
was there, and I asked him a lot of questions.

It is legal to throw away monitors.  It is not against the law.  The EPA
has not issued any guidelines forbidding their disposal.  As he told me,
the lead is infused in the glass.  He does not understand how they can
treated as a lead leaching threat given these physics.

Garbage collectors are not under instruction to refuse monitors or
equipment.  What is confusing for some state workers is that, in the DOE
for instance, they are instructed not to trash equipment and are told
that it is against the law.  In reality, those actually responsible for
enforcing and managing the "law" could care less.

If you use the bi-annual computer recycling day at CompUSA, the teachers
take what they can, a few truckloads are shipped to Taiwan to be
stripped and legitimately recycled, and the rest go into the landfill.

I just spent some time conversing with our collector who noticed a few
old Macs in my trash.  He wanted them for his kid.  When told they did
not work, he left them in the can.  I gave him the Blueberry Imac slated
for disposal on Saturday.  It still has a chance, with enough
tinkering.  I have these "trash" machines because I took a chance on
them at the recycling program.  Next time, in 5 months, HOSEF will set
up a few generators and trucks to test stuff on the fly so that teachers
and recipients only take the good equipment.  I'll be writing you for
your help then.

--scott