[LUAU] mozilla question

Thomas Ryan Gordon Sr memeyou at memeyou.net
Tue Jun 8 18:16:43 PDT 2004

Charles Lockhart wrote:

 > I use mozilla as my browser/mail client on a redhat 9 machine that
 > resides in my office in Hilo.  When I'm over here in Honolulu, I
 > tunnel the client over ssh to read my mail on my laptop.  When I
 > start a mozilla browser on my laptop, with the mail client on, the
 > process seems to get spawned on my office computer, and I end up
 > tunnelling that as well.
 >
 > Can you set it up to not do that, to just tunnel the mail client,
 > but then run the browers started on the laptop actually on the
 > laptop?  I didn't find a reference to it in the manual or in the
 > other support doc stuff on the mozilla.org website.
 >
 > Or if I'm on crack, what am I misunderstanding?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > -Charles

you can use ssh's -D {port}  and configure your browser (or other
application) to use a socks (4) proxy on localhost/{port}.  you could
even run the mail client locally through it too.  I also like to use
-C on lower-speed connections to help reduce bloat.

ssh -2 -X -f -C -D 6000 work.example.com mozilla-thunderbird

then configure your laptop's browser to use your localhost:6000.  your
tunnel should close when you close your email client.