[LUAU] Does this shock you?

jroby jim at jimroby.com
Thu Jul 8 13:54:22 PDT 2004

FYI, I just did a search on my system and find that FF.exe exists,but in
old backup directories on my second drive. The creation date is 1989,and
I do seem to remember it was a utility distributed by Norton Utilities
whoes function was to 'find files'. The many skins of the onion. :-)

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> FF.EXE
>
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.rirc.html
>
> http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_RANDEX.AB

> This malware is both a worm and a backdoor.
>
> It propagates into machines on the same network using a long-list of
> user names and passwords. Its propagation routine allows it to copy
> itself into machines running Windows NT, 2000, and XP that have weak
> passwords.
>
> (Note: Weak passwords are often ordinary words or easily crackable,
> non-alphanumeric strings that do not use special and mixed case
> characters. Passwords with fewer than eight characters are also
> considered weak.)
>
> It acts as a backdoor and listens for commands from remote users. It
> joins an Internet Relay Chat server via port 6667 to receive these
> commands and allow remote users virtual control over infected systems.
>
> This malware runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, and XP. However, it
> can only propagate into machines running Windows NT, 2000, and XP"

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                      Benjamin Franklin

 "The legal rationale came from White House counsel Alberto Gonzales, including the line, "In my judgment, this new paradigm renders obsolete Geneva's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some of its provisions."

 Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.
                                    Thomas Jefferson