[LUAU] Good Linux movie - Revolution OS

Wayne Maeda surf.bump at verizon.net
Wed Jul 7 17:09:31 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 08:46 am, Matthew John Darnell wrote:

> http://www.revolution-os.com/
>
> This is a good movie that chronicles the free software movement, it is an
> interview style documentary.  I thought the tension between Linus Torvalds
> & Richard Stallman was interesting.
>
> Linus also mentions he pronounces his name three different ways depending
> on the language he is speaking, but Linux is always Linux.
>
> Anyone know of any other movies like this?

I first saw this movie at the Hawaii International Film Festival a few years
ago. It was a sell out but only because someone had pre-bought most of the
seats in the theater. When we went in, the house was not even half full.

For information about Linux and free software, it was great but as a movie, it
was a bit boring. It had a lot of scenes of people staring into the camera
and talking about some event that happened in the past.

A much more exciting film that year was "Edreams" about the rise and fall of
Kozmo.com. This film covered the short history of Kozmo.com in real time, as
things were happening. You see the owners go from rags to riches and back to
rags (well, almost rags) again as internet stocks go bust. Throughout the
chaos, the financing, the parties, the IPO, the panic, the camera keeps
rolling. Millions of dollars come in and millions of dollars go out. Don't
miss it if you have a chance to see it.

Wayne