[LUAU] Wireless Linux Error

Thomas Ryan Gordon Sr memeyou at memeyou.net
Tue Jul 6 12:07:40 PDT 2004

Alex Boatwright wrote:

|> Have you tried orinoco_pci?
|

| I tried that and it wouldn't load beacuse of an IO/IRQ paramaters
| issue. To solve this would I have to edit my modules.pcimap file
| before I load it and if so, would I do that by just copying the
| information from the working driver in that file into the place of
| the orinoco_pci slot?
|

|> I can't seem to find information on your card anywhere, do you
|> have lspci output we can use to identify the card?
|

| Here's the relevant information from the lspci:: 00:06.0 Network
| controller: Harris Semiconductor: Unknown device 3890 (rev 01)

using lspci -v would have helped a bit more by including the pci id.
it appears you have a prism54-based card which is very different than
the 802.11b-only cards I described.  these cards use the prism54
driver which should be included in 2.6.5 kernels and higher but can be
be retro-fitted to older kernels.  I would download the latest,
instead.  The included README is very discriptive on how to install
the driver in Debian.

|> I suspect the error is lack of fully implimenting wireless
|> extensions (what wireless-tools uses) in the ndiswrapper driver.
|

| I don't think that it would be just the ndiswrapper driver beacuse
| on another distro, I got the prism54 driver
| [http://www.prism54.org] to the same level. Could it be that
| there's something lacking in the current disto's wireless-tools?
| Another thing that caught my eye is that in an iwconfig output I
| get::
|
| eth0      NOT READY!  ESSID:off/any Mode:Managed  Channel:6  Access
| Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00 Tx-Power=31 dBm   Sensitivity=0/0 Retry
| min limit:0   RTS thr=0 B   Fragment thr=0 B Encryption key:off
| Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0 Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx
| invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid
| misc:0   Missed beacon:0
|
| I could connect to the AP with windows under these settings, but I
| don't know what the NOT READY! means (other than the obvious). Is
| that because the interface isn't up, or some other inherent problem
| with how I set it up? Mode, ESSID, and channel were the only things
| iwconfig would let me set. When I tryed to set rate to "auto" [I
| assume the default, but I tried to set it just in case], I got this
| output::

I'm not experienced in the ndiswrapper but does it specifically have
any errors on initialization?

| Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) : SET failed on
| device eth0 ; Input/output error.

| Thanks for your fast response to my last one, -Alex

I would seriously go back to trying to get prism54 working in the
latest kernel and make sure you have hotplug installed.  I hope this
helps.

Tom