[luau] Moz 1.6

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon Jan 19 09:16:00 PST 2004

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us wrote:

>I don't get it, you can put Mozilla anywhere in any OS.  What is it
>windows can't do?
>

>For the newest version of Moz, I install it locally in my home
>directory.  (Try to do that in Windows???  Ha!)

This is an unfortunate out of the context quote. One of the advantages
of Linux, vis-a-vis Windows, is that you can install multiple
compilations of the same program locally, in lieu of or in addition to a
system-wide version that is installed via RPM. Properly exploited, this
can make system administration safer and much more convenient.

In case anyone is paying attention: (1) Has anyone routinely been doing
converting RPMs to TARs? (2) Does anyone know how fast or slow user
programs (such as Moz, OOo, KDE, etc) are updated in RHEL3?

The reason for Question (2) is that one of the key desktop application
programs, Win4Lin, has not been upgraded to work with RHEL3. This has
stopped me from considering RHEL3. wayne