[luau] Dual Processors & Linux

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jan 18 08:04:00 PST 2004

Morning Everyone,

I have a dual processor computer, but I am getting the impression that
Linux is using only one processor. I am running SUSE 9.0, with the
2.4.21-166-smp4G kernel. Doing a cat /proc/cpuinfo shows that Linux is
detecting 2 cpu's. However, when I try to run video, the video is very
choppy and pretty much un-watchable. Ksim also shows only one cpu in use
(cpu0), but displays cpu0 and cpu1. This system was giving me problems
before where for some reason, the BIOS would detect only 1 processor.
When this occured, video playback was fixed. Could the BIOS alsobe
causing Linux to use only one processor (but detect two) as well? Or is
there a setting somewhere in Linux to make use of both? I can dual boot
to windows, and windows shows both processors in use from task manager.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rodney

Computer specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW