[luau] packet8.net

Taylor Cody L. Contr 502 AOS/PETS Cody.Taylor at hickam.af.mil
Wed Jan 14 15:07:01 PST 2004

I buddy of mine just suggested this to me.  He says he knows someone who
uses it over seas.  Is anyone on the list using this?  Suggestions,
comments?  -Cody

http://www.packet8.net/

Packet8 is a communication service like no other.
By taking advantage of high-speed Internet connections that are becoming so
common, 8x8 is able to offer a complete voice and video communication
service that is affordable and easy to use. Packet8 has been designed with
the user in mind. From online ordering and set up, to using the phone-
Packet8 is simple.

How does it work?
Pick up the phone, hear dial tone and dial the telephone number of your
choice. When you get an incoming call the phone rings the same as any phone.
There are no extra numbers, no special routines to follow and no, you do not
talk on your computer. We route calls over the Internet and then pass them
off to the closest public telephone point to the number your are calling. To
sum it up, you make and receive calls the same way you always have, but we
connect your calls differently to save you money. Your experience is
identical to what you are used to with the exception of your bill. No more
gouging fees for features like voicemail, caller ID, Call waiting, or three
way calling and no more charges for every call.

What do I get?
When you join Packet8 you will be sent a small device called a terminal
adapter (DTA) that plugs into the Internet connection in your home. Plug
your regular home telephone into this DTA. Lastly, we provide you a new
telephone number from a rate center of your choice. Our plans provide you
with unlimited calling to any phone in the United States and Canada,
including unlimited world wide calling to other packet 8 subscribers for one
low flat monthly fee. All our plans include more features than you knew were
available from your old telephone company.

What else do I need?
A home router that allows you to share your Internet connection with
multiple computers or internet devices. Many of these home routers cost as
little as $30.00 and allow you to create a home network in minutes.

That's it!