[luau] KDE vs. GNOME

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Thu Jan 1 14:48:00 PST 2004

No sane person dares to get into the KDE vs. GNOME debate, but I never
thought that the first thing I did in 2004 was to switch from  KDE to
GNOME.

After having become accustomed to dual monitors (I have a pair of very
crispy NEC MultiSync 1760 LCD monitors on my desktop), it is very
difficult to get back to just one monitor (shame on me, I know, I know).

In RH9, the version of GNOME did not have twinhead option (and anyone
who is able to upgrade GNOME please raise your hand); thus, the only
choice was to go with KDE.  And it has worked very well.  However, with
Fedora Core 1, the twinhead option of KDE is quite "screwy" (not to
mention that Fedora was not able to configure twin head option
right--but this can be easily corrected by hand).  Naturally, I went
through the routes of upgrading the kernel and nVidia driver, but
nothing helped.  And extensive Google searches revealed nothing.

Then I remembered GNOME was adding the twinhead feature in 2.4.  So I
switched to GNOME as my desktop.  Suddenly, everything worked.  And I
must praise Red Hat for making transition between KDE and GNOME so
effortless.

However, if anyone knows how to make twinhead works in KDE/Fedora,
please be kind enough to share your knowledge.  BTW, when running the
twin head option in GNOME, x always crashes when screensaver is
triggered.  Not a show-stopping bug, but something to be aware of
nontheless.  wayne