[luau] Linux Fibre Channel Server?

Brian McSheehy brian at proservicepeo.com
Thu Feb 26 13:39:00 PST 2004

Hi Dusty,

I have setup many systems with FiberChannel and GigE networks (mainly
FreeBSD).
There is really not much to it other than installing the Fiber/GigE NIC in
your server. Before you buy
a NIC it would be a good idea to make sure the drivers for the NIC exist for
Linux. I don't know what type of file server software you are using but
installing FiberChannel NIC may or may not help you. If all the hosts on
your network are connected via 100Mbps connections to the file server and
the current NIC on your file server isn't maxing out on throughput at any
given time, then you will not notice much of a performance difference. Fiber
Channel can also be expensive, remember you will need a FiberChannel switch
too. I have no idea what type of data you share over your network, but if it
isn't extremely brandwidth intensive you may want to look at a GigE
(10/100/1000 Mbps) solution instead. This route may save you quite a bit of
cash.

--Brian