[luau] Cross Platfom Filesystem?

juli mallett jmallett at firetide.com
Thu Feb 26 13:23:01 PST 2004

You can't go wrong with FAT.  If you need more advanced semantics, you
may want to go in a different direction.  In any case, I believe all of
those support the "VFAT" stuff or whatever it was called...  Long file
names, long hierarchies, big filesystems.  You'll even find that FAT
mostly works on old Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, ... systems, too.  If linux
has HFS support, that is an option you might want to consider.  Native
on Mac, there's some relatively readily available HFS things for Windows
(depending on your needs and use methods, of course), and so on.

Hope this helps,
juli.

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 13:17, Dustin Cross wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> Are there any filesystems that work on Linux, OSX, and Windows?  I am
> thinking that XFS must work on Windows, but I can't find anything for it.
> I know SGI has CXFS clients for Windows, Linux, and OSX, but I think that
> is VERY expensive.
>
> Basically I have a few external firewire harddrives that I use on Windows
> 2000, OSX, and Linux.  The problem is I have to completely reformat the
> drive depending on the system that is using it and this prevents and data
> sharing.  I really want to format it once and be able to use it on any of
> the systems and share the data.
>
> Any sugestions?
>

> Mahalo,
> Dusty