[luau] IIIMF in Fedora

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Feb 22 22:22:00 PST 2004

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> One of the most attractive features of Fedora/Red Hat, as far as our
> Islands are concerned, is its aggressive attempt to make an OS that
> bridges the barrier between Western and Eastern languages. Red Hat 8
> was the first OS that's based on unicode (UTF-8).
>
> Now FC2 is bravely adopting the new Intranet/Internet Input Method
> Framework (IIIMF), which is the next generation Input Method
> Framework set to replace the legacy X Window System Input Method
> (XIM) used by existing Input Methods such as chinput, xcin, kinput2,
> etc. See:
>
> http://www.apac.redhat.com/iiimftest/testing-guide/ch-testcase.html
>
> Most in this forum probably will not be able to appreciate the
> significance of this development. But it won't hurt to be aware of
> what's going on. wayne

http://iiimf.fedora.us/
Official apt and yum repositories of the Fedora Project IIIMF Test
event.  It is hosted on my extremely fast server on the mainland so you
should have faster download speeds than the RH server in Australia.
IIIMF test repositories for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese input are
available for Fedora Core 1 and Fedora Core 2 Test1 (1.90).  It should
work fairly well with gtk2 applications (like Mozilla) out of the box,
but it is a lot more trouble to use with qt and OpenOffice at the moment.

http://apac.webdevap.brisbane.redhat.com/iiimftest/
Fedora Project IIIMF Test Event Homepage, documentation, discussion
mailing list and chat room are here.

I have personally been waiting intently for years for IIIMF to mature
and replaced the aging XIM input methods.  Now Unix will finally have a
much more usable, feature rich, and easier to understand CJK input.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com