[luau] Bizarre request

Karen Lofstrom lofstrom at lava.net
Mon Feb 9 23:14:01 PST 2004

I've gotten in WAY over my head in an attempt to cobble together a working
system unit out of bits and pieces. Combining 5-year-old and new
components is tricky :( This would be fine if it were for me, but it's not
-- it's for some poor neighbors who have contributed some money and time
towards my efforts. So I feel that I owe them a working system. The only
way I can see to do it, now, is to give them the Linux box that my brother
gave me. It's an old AT-form-factor PII computer that was no longer worth
upgrading. As soon as I get a job -- if I ever get a job -- I can assemble
my own Linux box. And make do with just my recently upgraded Windoze box
until then.

Of course it would be nice to just hand them a Linux box, but I don't
think they could handle it (the parents have eighth-grade educations).
Plus they want to go online with AOL, play popular games, etc. So I've got
to figure out a way to remove the SUSE OS and reformat the HD to Windoze.
I'm stuck. Windoze fdisk won't remove Linux partitions, and an attempt at
Linux fdisk from the command line, as root, failed. I can't get the system
to remove itself!

I faced a problem like this a few years ago, but I was able to back out
with a Red Hat installation diskette.  I don't have it now; I gave my
whole Red Hat set to a poor Chinese student. So what CAN I do to wipe the
system clean? I have a SUSE boot disk but it just reverts to the regular
HD boot.

I know that removing Linux and installing MS is heresy. Revile me if you
must, but help me revamp my Linux box so I can give it away.

--
Karen Lofstrom