[LUAU] Re: Linux networking

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Dec 28 00:26:35 PST 2004

seems to me that the 'right thing' (tm) is to have the "router" plugged
into the cable modem (on the uplink port),
and then plug the media center PeeCee into the other Ethernet port(s)
on the router, then use 802.11/WiFi/wireless for
the other computers (including the linux one.)

However, the Belkin f5d7000 is a Broadcom chipset based card, so you
will need driverloader or ndiswrapper (free (as in beer and speech))
(or similar), since no native x86 linux driver has been released for
the Broadcom chipset.

driverloader
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

ndiswrapper
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

see also:
http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20040507104718960
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/262318

Presuming that you've done this (or the Belkin software has done it for
you), then the dhcp client should have added the requisite routes,
either directly, or potentially as a result of configuring an IP
address on the interface.  You should have a route to the 'local'
network.  If you don't you can try to add one with something like:

route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev wlan0

or similar.

In truth, FC3 should have something like this:
# Wireless NDIS Wrapper Config
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=
ONBOOT=no
TYPE=Wireless
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
MODE=Managed
ESSID=''
CHANNEL=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
NETMASK=
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
GATEWAY=
IPV6INIT=no
RATE=Auto

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

Jim
from Costa Mesa, CA, but on my way back to Kailua in the morning, and
incidentally 'sharing' the "broadband" in the room off my PowerBook
with
my wife's XP notebook.  No linux, but still... Heh heh.