[LUAU] Minimum Macs

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Dec 13 18:09:45 PST 2004

Almost any PCI-based Mac can be made to run linux (and most netbsd as
well.)

The cut-off is probably a Power Mac 7200/7500.

Those with the optional external CPU cache and/or 2MB enables screen
size up to 1280x1024) or
4MB (additional pixel depth) of VRAM are probably preferred.

Even without these extras, they can be upgraded to a G3 @ 500Mhz, and
up to 512MB of RAM (if you can
still find the DIMMs.  Note that you can't use EDO ram in the 7200.)

Most of the G3 machines can be upgraded to G4, which is almost current.

(Musenki used (and I still own) a B&W G3 that I upgraded to a 550Mhz G4
with 1GB of SDRAM, for the original "build machine" (we were
doing PPC embedded linux work, and the cross-compilers weren't quite
all the way 'there'.   We actually had 2, but the kid of one of
my employees back in Washington wanted to start hacking linux, and I
had it available...)

The 7200/75, 7200/90 and 7200/120 were introduced (and discontinued) in
1995 through 1997.

Jim