[LUAU] Open Source Ghosting

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Aug 31 12:41:47 PDT 2004

Tim Newsham wrote:

> How about booting linux diskless?  Then you dont have to touch
> the current install at all (other than putting a different boot
> loader on it).  Grub has netboot capabilities, does linux support
> it?  (My bet is yes).

It is a tri-boot lab.  We use a grub to netboot from our K12LTSP server.
  We use grub to boot to windows for foreign language classes.  We use
grub to boot to Debian for hands-on, DIY classes.

We have done the work.  The lab is ghosted.  If anyone has an OSS
solution or suggestion that can do what ghost has done, we are eager to
implement it.  For now, we are eternally grateful to the great folks of
Symantec (and Bill) who have developed and delivered that which we can
still only talk about.

We meet at McKinley on the weekends.  Just to reiterate- this is a lab
that we, us, you and I, members of our Open Source Community as embodied
in HOSEF, your LUG in action, gave to our DOE.  It is used by students
and teachers.  It is the ultimate example of how nicely the OSS
community plays.  We donate and support computers that, in this case,
even benefit our competition.

If someone in our community wants to make a difference there, we could
use and OSS alternative to Ghost, and we would love to run Rosetta
Stone, the app that requires Windows, on Linux, and Wine has failed us
thus far.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford