[LUAU] "Taiwanese bodies in major Linux push"

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Thu Aug 19 13:53:37 PDT 2004

For the past five years or so I have been advising the Industrial
Technology Technology Institute (ITRI) to pay attention to Linux.  It
appears that they are finally taking actions:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17965

" . . . Additionally, the Industrial Technology Research Institute of
Taiwan and the Institute for Information Industry have both got involved
in R&D for Linux programs. The III, according to the /Taiwan Economic
News/ reckons the Linux market will grow to $4 billion USD worldwide in
2008, and will have an annual growth rate of 58% over the next five
years. . ."

(ITRI is the National Applied Research Laboratory of Taiwan, with an
annual R&D budget in access of $500 million USD.  I have been a legal
counsel to ITRI until this year--for health reasons, the travel schedule
is killing me.)

Locally, we have HOSEF and LUAU (I would like to consider them as
separate entities with overlapping personnel) respectively providing
Linux related services.  However, I have not seen a lot of
business/technological ideas being discussed.  (If they have, then I
must have missed them, my apology.)

I am not privy to what ITRI is planning to do with Linux, also the
Inquirer is probably not the most reliable news source in the world.
But we probably would like to see more discussions on business/technical
ideas.  wayne