[LUAU] Intro

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Aug 10 16:58:42 PDT 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 10:13 AM, Jimen Ching wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> hi, my name's jim (kimo?), and I'm a {gentoo, debian, embedded, but
>> never red hat if I can help it} linux user.
>
> What kind of embedded work do you do?

Most of my embedded work has been associated with various 802.11 (WiFi)
products, and the networking stacks on them.

I was the CTO/VP of Engineering at Wayport (www.wayport.net) back when
we still built our own hardware.
I designed a distributed switch that used HPNA or regular Ethernet for
installation into hotels.  While at Wayport
I also started a project for our own AP, based on the Motorola 860T.

I was a founder @ Musenki.  We were doing "open source 802.11 APs" on a
Motorola 8241/8245 board that I designed.

Post Musenki, I went to Vivato for a couple years, where I was
nominally an 'executive', but still managed to get my
hands dirty.   Various MIPS, PowerPC and Xscale processors there.

Currently I'm putting the finishing touches on a tree for an Xscale
board produced by Senao.

I see you're a ham. Someday I'll figure out how to put an antenna up at
the condo (KD5FGA).

Jim