[LUAU] Linux for Desktops/Laptops

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Aug 6 10:36:02 PDT 2004

Recently there are quite a few discussions on whether Linux is ready for
desktops or notebooks.  Most of these discussions, IMHO, forgot to alert
the readers the "time" factor.

As I discussed in my Fedora Core 3 Test 1 threads, I am very pleased
with how FC3T1 (as well as fully patched FC2) works on my HP ze5000
notebook.  Fedora is one of the most popular Linux distributions--if not
the most popular, and HP is one of the most popular notebook PC brands.
Plus, the ze5000 is one of the most affordable ($899) with more power
(Athlon XP-M 2500+, 512 MB DDR, 512K cache) than perhaps most desktops.
For those who still complain that Linux is not ready for laptops, my
advice is, get a life.

One of the biggest missing pieces in the Linux desktops equation is also
being quickly filled by OpenOffice.org.  Last night, against my own
advice, I installed OOo 1.1.2 from Fedora Core Rawhide (the --nodeps
option always makes me nervous).  The progress in OOo is amazing.  OOo
is being developed into a truly international office suite.  (If you
don't need international features, you probably can ignore the i18n-rpm
file, which is more than 120 MB.)  wayne