[LUAU] VC and Linux

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Apr 30 13:01:21 PDT 2004

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Each year the University of Hawaii's School of Business has a Business
> Plan Competition.
>
> http://www.cba.hawaii.edu/bpc/
>
> From a field of 60, one of the five finalists was a VOIP provider
> using linux hardware for the PBX.  They did not win, but the Venture
> Capitalists in attendance, and they were each pretty special, were
> impressed.  Comtel is already combining OSS with a business solution,
> as is Pau Spam, Tiki Technologies, etc.
>

> HONTECH
>     Provides unique IP telephony services and solutions
>     using a combination of proprietary and open-source
>     software
>

> --scott

Nowadays, it is almost impossible to start a tech company without
touching upon Linux (now even Sun Microsoft is trying to turn itself
into a major Linux shop).   I am more interested in infrastructural
changes which could take advantage of our unique (this word should be
capitalized) social/cultural mixes.  Of couse, this is just my own
thought, which is not worth even two cents.  wayne