[LUAU] VC and Linux

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Apr 30 12:34:14 PDT 2004

Karen Lofstrom wrote:

>My ex-husband was Verifone employee #25. Joined up when they were still a
>smallish company operating out of the First Insurance building
>kitty-korner from the Art Academy. Then they moved out to Mililani Hi-Tech
>Park and finally to the Bay Area.

I am sure most have heard the news that Google has set a date to go
IPO.  What differentiates Google from essentially all the internet
bubbles of the late '90s is that it already has almost $500M in cash.  I
know Google is "probably" profitable.  But $500M in cash?  I don't think
anyone has any idea that Google has been so successful, cash-wise.

Five years ago, Google comprised of no more than two PhD students, one
of them from the former USSR, who built a search engine on a number of
cheap-to-free Linux boxes.

Plse excuse me for doing a little bit Monday morning quarterbacking.
But I believe all the financial analysts have missed a key element in
Google's success.  As I mentioned in my previous thread, before the two
Google founders thought about their ideas, there was already a massive
Linux community at Stanford University's ComSci dept.

This is what we should do: Build a massive Linux user community in
Hawaii.  And hopefully some of us will become very big (so that the rest
of us can have enough crumbs to pick).  We may not have the technical
edge, but we should have some geographical/geopolltical/geosocial
advantages that make us unique among the 50 states.  wayne