[LUAU] How Does this Work?

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Thu Apr 29 17:09:20 PDT 2004

MonMotha wrote:

> That link doesn't work for me in mozilla (brings up an error dialog),
> but the use of &BVP= is probably a weirdo escape sequence that rewrites
> .com into some odd cctld that someone bought up.  I've gotten a similar
> mail, but it was in HTML.  Did we possibly lose something in the HTML to
> plaintext conversion?

Double checking the email, I received text, and the address is the same.
  The link no longer works for me.  It is interesting and ashame that
someone else did not see it.  When I first clicked the link, I was told
that address was not available.  I clicked okay, and after a dial-up
kind of wait, ~15 sec, a citibank.com site appeared.  I understand it is
phishing, but what was deceiving is that the resulting page looked
exactly like the citibank page.  Maybe Vince could have done that with
his phish, but to do it completely would have been illegal.  I guess
that I was also alarmed because I only thought that it happened with IE,
but I clearly don't have a complete picture of the underlying protocols
at play.

> --MonMotha

--scott