[LUAU] VC and Linux

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Apr 23 10:52:45 PDT 2004

Virgil Vergara wrote:

> My apologizes to everyone especially to Wayne. You all are right about
> Verifone. Virgil

Your reply has made an otherwise boring thread interesting (and
inspirational), and I am sure a lot of our members appreciate your comment.

I am affiliated with a VC group, which, during the bubble days, was
capable of financing up to $100M to buy companies with established sales
channels.

Under our current conditions, it is almost impossible to try to bring
tech VC money to Hawaii.  What we can hope to do, I think, is to
collectively and unselfishly build a huge Linux infrastructure (I mean
"huge"), and hope that someday someone will be able to take advantage of
this infrastructure for profitable ventures.  Of course, this is just my
thought.  Everyone has his/her own VC ideas.

In my original post, I mentioned Google.  I visited Stanford
University's "Bill Gates Computer Laboratories" in the late 1990's and
was surprised to find out that almost everyone there was working on
Linux.  Without Linux, Google would not have been started, and, at least
this is what I believe, it is critical important to establish an
environment that can foster further developments.