[LUAU] Fedora Core 2 Test 2

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Tue Apr 6 01:21:16 PDT 2004

With FC2 I am finally able to install Linux onto my HP ze4560 notebook.
(Previously I have tried FC1, MDK 9.2, various Debian based distros,
etc., not was successful.)

I do not have sound with FC2T1.  I was surprised to find out that this
problem was solved with the new FC2T2, but the FC2T2 also brings forth
several very annoying problems (e.g., the system would crash when I
tried to run OOo and KOffice).  The best approach seems to install
FC2T1, then run an upgrade to FC2T2.  Both OOo and KOffice would then
work OK.  This is strange, but I don't have time to find out why.  BTW,
I really like the bluecurve splashscreen for OOo.

I was also very pleased to find out that ACPI appears to be working with
FC2.  Under normal running conditions, my watt meter reads about 55W.
During hibernation, the power consumption would drop to about 25W.

If you are in the need (or mood) to build a new PC, I strongly suggest
using the Athlon 2500 XP-"Mobile", even though you are building a
desktop system.  Unlike regular Athlon XPs, the 2500 XP-Mobile is based
on the Barton core (512 MB cache).  This is THE most overclockable CPU
you can find.  I have no interest in overclocking, but high
overclockability generally means super stability and cool temperature at
default GHz.

Anyway, things are getting very exciting on the Linux desktop/laptop
fronts, and I really hope we will have more local voices sharing your
experiences with FC2.  wayne