[luau] Saving in /home

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Tue Sep 30 08:35:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Warren Togami wrote:

> Also remember that the umask for netatalk needs to be set.  I don't know
> how to do this for the /home directories though...
>
> Making all home directories 777 really makes me nervous.  It might work
> for a school like Liholiho, but otherwise it is a disaster waiting to
> happen.  We really need to fix netatalk and get a proper ACL filesystem
> working on your server in order to do the job "right".

I only want to make student /home 6770.
I want to move all students off of /var/fileserver.
It's just too hard for kindergarteners and 1st graders to navigate that
much.
Therefore I removed all File Server links in all student /home.

I want to implement this new system of creating a Student folder in every
teacher's /home, and fill it with links to their student's /home.
That's why I want to make all student /home 6770, and add the teacher to
the student's primary group.
I figured it would allow the teacher to read and write to all of his/her
students /home.

Staff users are still using the File Server link. Which needs to be fixed
as you said above. However, the student-teacher thing is a priority for me
at the moment.

> For now though, I disabled the nightly cron script that "fixes"
> permissions within /home.

Maybe I can modify that cron script to do my work for me. Can it be
modified to change only users in the students group to 6770?