[luau] thumb drive, incremental backup

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Tue Sep 30 06:52:00 PDT 2003

one of the most useful features of a thumb drive (or a USB hard disk) is
to do incremental backups.  I used to rely on a DOS program called
xtree/ztree to do incremental backups in Windows, but in Linux, the task
is substantially easier.

I am tossing in my way of doing incremental backups, if you have other
approaches and/or comments, please share them with us:

First step, find all the files that have been modified in the past, say,
7 days (for weekly backup), and save all their file names into a file
called, say, backup.weekly:

find / -mtime -7 -print backup.weekly

Then, compress all those files into a tarball and store in into your
thumb drive (which, I assume, has been mounted as /mnt):

tar -cvz -T backup.weekly -f /mnt

Comment: if you are using the thumb drive merely to do backups, of
course, you don't need the bind option as I mentioned earlier.  Also, if
you don't want to incrementally back up the entire disk, you can replace
the slash ("/") with whatever directory you're interested.  For win4lin
users, you can do a daily backup of your windows data by replacing "/"
with "mydata", and the number "7" with "1", as follows:

find /home/xxxxx/mydata -mtime -1 -print backup.daily

Wayne