[luau] thumb drive

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Tue Sep 30 06:10:01 PDT 2003

Vince Hoang wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 04:30:56PM -1000, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
>

>>If your /home directory is not installed in a separate
>>partition, but as part of the root partition, then this becomes
>>a two-step process:
>>
>>mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
>>
>>mount --bind /mnt/home /home
>>

>It can still be a single process. The extra step shows off
>the bind option, which is a rather useful, but in this case,
>unnecessary.

Thanks for the feedback.  I am sure you're aware of this but many
Windows desktop users probably are not.  The distinction is, w/o the
bind option, your /home directory would reside in the /mnt directory.
Whereas, with it, your "movable" /home directory now "replaces", or
"masks", the original /home directory on the host machine (thus allowing
you to use your own profile and work on your own data when running a
program on the host machine).  This feature is very useful for small
offices when, e.g., you have several machines that are not networked but
you want to have a consistent, or "master", home directory.

Wayne