[luau] storage - need raid?

Dwight dwight at aikanaka.com
Thu Sep 25 13:26:01 PDT 2003

Like any good question, the answer is "it depends."

Some of the things you should ask yourself are:

- how much uptime/reliability do the end-users want/require?  greater
reliability = greater cost
- how will the storage be used?  transaction intensive applications or
primarily static files?
- who will support the disk?  are you going to do it by yourself or do you
want someone else to handle it for you?  outsourced support = greater cost

Answering these questions will help you narrow down your search.  If the
users don't require five nines for uptime/reliability, then you can get away
with running a roboust Linux server outfitted with a SCSI based RAID array
serving files via both SAMBA and NFS.  If the storage is critical, then you
might want to talk to someone at HONCAD or elsewhere about what you can do
(HONCAD was selling NetApp boxes that were previously leased to Square...see
the HONCAD website).

My $0.02.

Dwight...