[luau] Map network drive in 2000

Keith krjw at optonline.net
Thu Sep 25 06:51:00 PDT 2003

* Nakashima <pnakashi at k12.hi.us> [25/09/2003 0335EDT]:
> I can't see the box in the Network Neighborhood. Is there something I'm
> missing? I'll try mapping to the IP address.
> Thanks
> --Peter

Are the linux box and the win2k box in the same workgroup?  If they
aren't, put them in the same workgroup if you can.  If they cannot be
put in the same workgroup then you should set up your samba box properly
as a WINS server and every SMB box should use it as their WINS server.
(It is advised by the samba people to have only one WINS box.)  Enabling
WINS support in samba is as simple as putting

	wins support = Yes

in the [global] section of your samba server.  You may also want to put

	name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast

in the [global] section.  Win32 boxes like to do a broadcast to find out
where a given machine is.  Something to the effect of "Is machine FOO
out there?" and hoping to hear back "Yeah, man, I'm over HERE".  This is
not only very talkative on the net, but it cannot cross network
boundries.  You absolutely need to use WINS if you intend to have two+
SMB (win32/samba/or combination) machines on different network segments
that need to talk to one another.

It also *helps* to have DNS set up properly, or at least have /etc/hosts
(yeah, win32 has an /etc/hosts equivalent too) set up the same on all
machines.  Win32, when doing NetBIOS over TCP/IP, will try to resolve
the hostname part of a UNC (universal naming convention) path.  For
example, if you type in \\foo\ in your win32 address bar your win32 box
will try to find the IP of foo.  It may do this by contacting WINS or
lmhosts.  Failing this it will use DNS, and then finally broadcast.
(This is in respect to the name resolve order given above, however win32
boxes may not necessarily do it in this order.)  For sanity sake, it
also makes sense to have your win32 NetBIOS names be identical to their
IP host names.

One more note: if the linux box and win2k box are in the same workgroup,
then you may want to make your linux box the "master browser".  A master
browser is essentially responsible for keeping track of who is actually
alive in the workgroup, and it feeds this list to other win32 machines
in the workgroup when they go to browse the "network neighborhood".
Browse masters will also share their browse lists with other master
browsers of other workgroups so that cross-workgroup browsing works.  To
set up your samba box as a master browser, you need something like

	# make this number artifically high
	os level = 80
	preferred master = True
	domain master = True

in the [globals] section.  The "os level" parameter addresses the fact
that win32 boxes in the same workgroup actually "vote" on which machine
should be the browse master.  One of the most heavily weighted
parameters in the vote is OS version.  In other words, later versions of
win32 will always beat earlier versions in a vote (ie, XP *always* wins
over win2k).  The actually os level numbers are documented somewhere,
probably in Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf which comes with the samba
source.

Ciao,
krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                  [k r j w  at  optonline dot net]
"One of the interesting initiatives  we've taken in Washington, D.C.,