[luau] fedora q's

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Sep 23 08:20:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 07:55, Charles Lockhart wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
> > apt and yum are generic tools which can download, install and update
> > packages from an arbitrary source.  fedora.us was one of many sources of
> > 3rd party packages for Red Hat Linux.  freshrpms.net is another.
>
> Ah, I see, that makes sense.  I need to get out more.
>
> > That is not a 100% requirement, but Fedora could not guarantee
> > compatibility with packages from other sources.  Chances are however
> > that maybe 95% of packages from elsewhere work fine though.
> >
> > The sign that says "we cannot guarantee compatibility" was more of a
> > warning than a rule for users who want simplicity by avoiding breakage.
>
> I was confused by an article I read where the user pretty much gave up
> because of errors.  I tested it on my machine, no problems, so I see
> what you mean.

If you are referring to Joe Barr's article and the conflict with Ximian,
that is a long standing issue with Ximian where many months ago they
released XD2 for RH9 in such a way that totally breaks apt.  Despite a
large amount of complaints and even admission that it was their fault,
they haven't fixed the situation yet.  We were a bit disappointed that
Joe Barr, a well respected OSS columnist gave up so easily on that
article too.

yum still works with Ximian though.

Warren