[luau] sendmail patch

Nicholas E. Walker new at gnu.org
Sun Sep 21 10:57:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 11:10:38PM -1000, Vince Hoang wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 05:08:55PM -0400, Keith wrote:
> > * Taylor Cody L. Contractor 502 AOS/PETS <Cody.Taylor at hickam.af.mil> [18/09/2003 1419EDT]:
> > > http://www.sendmail.org/8.12.10.html
> > >

> > ... or http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html
>
> <ObZealotry>
> Or less obtuse drop-in replacements for sendmail:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/
> http://www.exim.org/
> </ObZealotry>

It's probably worth noting that exim has a history of buffer overflow
attacks and/including root vulnerabilities.  Some of that history is
very recent.

Postfix sounds like a reasonable alternative to qmail, though I've not
tried it and cannot recommend it.  I would recommend going with qmail,
as it is very easy to install, configure, etc.  The qmail author is
against parsing (as he says it is an open invitation to security holes),
so he puts each config option in a separate file.  I like that.  If
you're using a modern filesystem such as XFS, you don't need to worry
about running out of inodes.

For all network services, you should be putting resource limits in
place.  Read http://cr.yp.to/docs/resources.html for more about this.

Nicholas