[luau] Wordperfect office and 9.1

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 09:28:00 PDT 2003

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

> I assume you are talking about WordPerfect for Windows, and not
> WordPerfect Office for Linux.  The latter is, IMNSHO, one of the worst
> programs in the history of computing.  You solved one problem, then
> another problem popped up.  And the whole "thing" ceased to install
> when I moved to the newest generations of Linux distros (RH 9 & MDK 9.1).
>
> With WordPerfect Office for Windows, the only option is to run it
> under Win4Lin.  You also need a copy of either Win98SE or WinME.  Both
> OS's suck big time, but since they are not allowed to touch hardware
> under Win4Lin/Linux, Windows programs actually are substantially
> better behaving in Linux than running natively in Windows.
> (Currently, there is no option to run Win2K with Win4Lin.)
>
> Win4Lin, now version 5, is not cheap (about $89.99 per license?).  But
> if you use WordPerfect in your business, it's worth every penny.  Just
> remember don't ever try to "upgrade" from WP9 (i.e., WordPerfect
> Office 2000).  WP10 (part of WordPerfect 2002) has several critical
> problems we had to remove it from all our machines.  WP11 corrected
> some of those problems, but it also breaks some of the important
> functionalities of WP9.
>
> For business purposes, there is another (very important) advantage of
> running Windows applications in Linux under Win4Lin.
>
> As we all know, Windows contains quite a few bugs.  But most Windows
> application programs have been known to rely on those bugs for their
> functionality.
>
> When Microsoft moves to a new version of Windows, many of those bugs
> will be "fixed" (while new bugs will be introduced).  This can cause,
> and has caused, many Windows applications to behave improperly.  Thus,
> you often need to buy a new version of the application program to run
> under the new Windows.  But those newer applications may bring new
> problems when running in the older version of Windows.  The cycle
> repeats itself.  And we Windows applications users are forced to live
> in the constant upgrade cycle and under constant fear.
>
> With Win4Lin, you will be able to run your familiar applications
> (e.g., WordPerfect 2000) in a familiar environment (e.g., Win98).  All
> the changes in Linux will be taken care of by Win4Lin.
>

> Richard James, McDonald wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am a user of Wordperfect for many years now, and I am planning
>> to switch to Linux mandrake 9.1, I have read that some users have
>> been able to get WordPerfect Office 2000 to run on Mandrake 9.1, can
>> you point me in the right direction to get it working, thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> Richard

>> .

Hi; I agree with all the above; did not edit it out in order to
emphasize the point. I had very good luck running WpWin9 with the
previous edition of Win4Lin. The only version of WP for linux you can
run under Linux is version 8, and you have to go back to an earlier
distribution (or hunt down lots of missing files) to instiall it. Also
do not delude yourself that you can run any verion of Wp under Wine;
great way to waste months of effort. I am in the process of biting the
bullet and converting to OpenOffice (use Word Wizard to batch convert
your wp files to .doc, then the Oo batch conversion utility to get to
the .sxw format).  Good luck.