[luau] Toshiba pcx2500 cable modem & Linux

Keith krjw at optonline.net
Mon Sep 1 20:33:01 PDT 2003

* Rodney Kanno <pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com> [01/09/2003 1947EDT]:
> Ever since I changed out my cable modem to the Toshiba PCX2500, my
> internet connection in Linux has been slow. To open up the main google
> search page takes about 1 min. I am going the through a DLink router,
> and I have noticed that the activity lights do not flash until the end
> when the page loads up. It seems like the computer has to think or
> something before it can send out the request. I had no problems with
> my old motorola modem (while it was working). I dual boot, and the net
> connection works fine in windows. Anyone else had/got this problem?
> How did you resolve it?

Hello Rodney and greetings from the east coast.

In all seriousness, Linux doesn't care what make/model your cable modem
is, unless of course it is a USB cable modem and someone wrote a crappy
driver for it.  Your ISP, on the other hand, may care about the cable
modem.  If you haven't already done so you should call them and ask them
to run a connectivity test.  Hopefully they will give you an idea of how
fast it *should* be running, based on whatever they capped your up- and
down-stream speeds at.

Also have you changed anything -- anything at all -- with your linux
configuration since you changed the modem?  If so, what has changed?
And how long has the connection been slow?

Regards,
krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                  [k r j w  at  optonline dot net]
"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"