[luau] Two computers working as one

Ronald Willis ronal at aloha.com
Thu Oct 30 04:40:01 PST 2003

Hey Matt,

Linux does distributed computing very easily. Imagine a classroom of
computer sitting idle all night long. Or complete coporation of PC's doing
nothing for at least 8 hours a day. Now imagine using all of those idle
BogoMips to function as a rendering farm, or to crunch numbers like Seti.

Look up Beowulf http://www.beowulf.org/beowulf/vendors/.
RedHat has a good resource for Linux clusters.
Books on Amazon, Linux Clusters...
Of course the web will keep you busy too.

Penguin Computing Clustering FAQs

1) What is a High Performance Cluster (HPC)?
A High Performance Cluster is a generic term for a group of computers
connected to work on a specific, computationally intensive problem. Beowulf
is a type of HPC. HPC is also an acronym for "High Performance Computing," a
larger category that subsumes High Performance Clusters.

More...http://www.penguincomputing.com/store/hpc.php