[luau] Administrivia: what content is acceptable for luau?

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Oct 21 10:42:01 PDT 2003

(CC: to bman1 at rcn.com because digest-mode is enabled for their
subscription.)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:18:12AM -1000, R.Scott Belford wrote:
> I think that the chance to learn is a good thing. We do have
> an unposted list policy against commercial solicitation, which
> this seemed to be. It does beg the question, though, about my
> own emails regarding HOSEF which, I sometimes fear, border
> on spam. I justify it because it is a charitable non-profit
> promoting Open Source, but ....

That is a good stance, but...

> Once I followed the link to this workshop, I will say that
> I was dismayed by the self-promotion of the speaker and the
> heavy corporate sponsorship. They really don't need our donated
> bandwidth and equipment for their promotion, do they?

In the past, lots of messages have come through without
complaint:

  Free commerical workshops with no open-source content.
  Fee-based HCC/PCATT and McKinley class/workshop offerings.
  Fee-based anti-spam solutions.
  Job opportunities.
  Job requests.

Should complaints to the original poster be sent privately or
publicly? (I do prefer privately and not create more traffic for
the list.)

Should questionable items be sent to the list admin alias
(luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu) for approval?

I am just trying to figure out where to draw the line and how to
deal with it when someone hovers near it.

For the record, bman1's message did annoy me. Not because of the
content, but because of the very impersonal delivery by a lurker
that does not particiate in _productive_ discussions.

And now I ask the members to kill the old thread and withold from
publicly complaining about bman1. Just complain about me stirring
the pot. :)

Thanks,
-Vince