[luau] Taiwan Budgeting $8M to Push Linux

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Thu Oct 16 08:24:01 PDT 2003

Because LUAU is a public forum accessible by the world at large, I will
mention only what is publicly available.  In a surprise move, Taiwan
government yesterday announced that it will budget 25.5 million NT this
year (or about 8 million USD) to urgently push Linux.

http://www.epochtimes.com/b5/3/4/30/n306533.htm

(you may try to go to altavista, http://babelfish.altavista.com/ , for
an on-line translation)

Essentially all the agencies that have anything to do with hi-tech will
be involved: Ministry of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Education,
National Science Foundation, Executive Yuan Science Advisory Council,
etc.  Only a few days ago, I heard that the money was going to be about
1.5 million USD.  Such a 5-fold increase at the last minute was totally
unexpected.

Now that we can claim Fedora originated from Hawaii (you will be
surprised as to how much that could elevate our Linuxique credibility
:-) ), perhaps eventually our local Linux groups can somehow get
involved.  But we will see.  wayne