[luau] that crazy GPL stuff...

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Oct 14 22:48:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Warren Togami wrote:
>GPL disallows dynamic and static linking of closed source stuff

I think you're making a common mistake that many new readers of the GPL
make, which is--the license doesn't specify what is allowed or disallowed.
What it does specify is, if you do A, you must do B, or if you don't do C,
you don't need to do D.

The question is not 'what is allowed or disallowed', but 'what is a
derived work'?  Because the GPL only applies to a derived work, which is
'distributed' in binary form.

>while LGPL allows dynamic linking but not static linking.

Not according to my last reading of the LGPL.  The license only states
that, if a derived work is distributed (in binary form of course), you
must also distribute 'object' files which allow re-linking with the LGPL
library.  There's no differentiation of 'dynamic' vs. 'static'.  When the
licenses were written, the concept of shared libraries haven't even been
developed yet.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org