[luau] Restoring a Software RAID1 System (RH9)

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 06:34:00 PDT 2003

Blake Vance wrote:

> Do I attach "new" as the primary
> master? Then what?
> raidhotadd /dev/md? /dev/hd?
>
> If I don't respond right away, it's because I'm calling it a night.
>
> TIA,
> Blake

Here's what you need to do:

First, Attach the new drive in the same position as the failed one (though this
isn't strictly required, it keeps things nice).  Then:

1.  Partition the new hdd the same way as the old one (refer to fdisk info on
the old one).  The partition type for the RAID partitions should be FD (I think,
it's whatever "Linux RAID Autodetect" is).

2.  Run "raidhotadd /dev/md? /dev/hd?".  It should return nothing, and dmesg
should indicate that it is beginning a rebuild.  cat /proc/mdstat for a progress
indicator.

This is what I've done every time I've lost a drive in a RAID array (and believe
me, I've lost a bunch since I tend to use freebie drives that are already on
their last legs anyway).  Seems to work fine every time.

--MonMotha