[luau] Looking for help on attempted cracking....

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 21:45:01 PDT 2003

Aloha,

	I saw in my logs today an attempt to install a bunch of directories on my
box in the /home/ftp/pub/.. area.  So far, it does not appear to have been
successful, but I am now curious how this may have happened. I am running
MonMotha's firewall (pre9) and the TCP_ALLOW variable is empty.  In other
words, I should not be allowing anything in except in response to an already
established connection (I think).   Anyway, there it is in my log, an attempt
ot install a bunch of directories. Now I am wondering a few things.

	1)  How did the cracker get past the firewall?

	2) Does this represent a hole that can be plugged?

	3) What else should I check or do to make sure that I'm not "owned" by
someone but me?

	4) How can I keep this person out in the future?

Thanks,

Ben