[luau] Next up, back up

R.Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Tue Oct 7 11:43:01 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 10:43 AM, tom_gordon at notes.k12.hi.us
wrote:

> nifty, but don't you think learning to tarball will be quicker and more
> useful to Peter?

It's all useful and anything learned is good.  I really don't know what
is "more" useful.  Just offering an alternative choice.

> Peter:
>>> As I read your comment it occurred to me that we don't have to backup
>>> to another machine. We can just back up to another directory. Our
>
> give him the old-reliable, tried and true methods like
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap29sec306.html  see how much
> simpler
> that script is than the rsync script?  Pretty much the same features.
>
> Remember the less services you use, the better (for security mostly).
> Personnally I refuse to run ftpd & rsyncd on any of my servers.  All
> that
> rsync crap is ment for mirroring and developers.  The same people using
> rcp I guess.

rsync over ssh seems pretty secure and stable.  It works for me.

> I can get the same rsync behavior from RH's ftpcopy package for
> updating
> of new and modified files on any existing FTP server.  After-all isn't
> rsync just FTP used a diffferent way on a different port?

That's great and not really.  I am confused about the refusal to run a
ftpd but the preference of using ftpcopy from a ftp server.  I don't
know much, though.

> Tom

--scott