[luau] Next up, back up

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Mon Oct 6 18:59:01 PDT 2003

It is common to find tarball/cpio scripts that archive modified files
only.  Transfering to the other server is the hardest choice.  ftpcopy,
rsyc and nfs are all options, but...

Perhaps the most secure option that requires no additional
services/software is to use scp whch is basically ssh-based file-transfer.
 Just set up a key-based autheticated user (there are tons of OSX
tutorials for ssh on the net) and in the script include the command for
transfer.

Tom

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
Sent by:        luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
To:     luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
cc:
Subject:        [luau] Next up, back up

Next on my to-do list is backing up /home to our Macintosh server, if
that's possible. Here are some posts to K12OSN. Can you comment on them
or suggest the best solution for us.

--

That is the 'manual' way to do it.  Mondo automates the whole process
very nicely.

With Mondo, the system does daily incremental backups automatically.  If
your Server goes up in flames, simply purchase a new one, and re-install
using the ISOs provided by the Mondo backup - voila! total restoration
from cold steel.  Very easy, and very quick.

--

We use/like rdiff-backup for a similar scenario.
rdiff-backup.stanford.edu

--

Instead of just plain rsync (which is good), here is a better way to
use rsync and not waste a lot of space.  You get snapshots as often as

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Abstract
This document describes a method for generating automatic rotating
"snapshot"-style backups on a Unix-based system, with specific examples
drawn from the author's GNU/Linux experience. Snapshot backups are a
feature of some high-end industrial file servers; they create the
illusion of multiple, full backups per day without the space or
processing overhead. All of the snapshots are read-only, and are
accessible directly by users as special system directories. It is often
possible to store several hours, days, and even weeks' worth of
snapshots with slightly more than 2x storage. This method, while not as
space-efficient as some of the proprietary technologies (which, using
special copy-on-write filesystems, can operate on slightly more than 1x
storage), makes use of only standard file utilities and the common
rsync program, which is installed by default on most Linux
distributions. Properly configured, the method can also protect against
hard disk failure, root compromises, or even back up a network of
heterogeneous desktops automatically.

--Peter