[luau] Map network drive in 2000

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Mon Oct 6 17:41:01 PDT 2003

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 05:53  AM, Keith wrote:

> Are the linux box and the win2k box in the same workgroup?  If they
> aren't, put them in the same workgroup if you can.

Yes, they are.

> If they cannot be
> put in the same workgroup then you should set up your samba box
> properly
> as a WINS server and every SMB box should use it as their WINS server.
> (It is advised by the samba people to have only one WINS box.)

I believe we only have one SMB box. However, now that I can map network
drives using the static IP address, can I disable WINS? What are the
pros and cons?

> Enabling
> WINS support in samba is as simple as putting
>
> 	wins support = Yes
>
> in the [global] section of your samba server.  You may also want to put
>
> 	name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast

Not sure if I set this one. I better check later.

> It also *helps* to have DNS set up properly, or at least have
> /etc/hosts
> (yeah, win32 has an /etc/hosts equivalent too) set up the same on all
> machines.  Win32, when doing NetBIOS over TCP/IP, will try to resolve
> the hostname part of a UNC (universal naming convention) path.  For
> example, if you type in \\foo\ in your win32 address bar your win32 box
> will try to find the IP of foo.  It may do this by contacting WINS or
> lmhosts.  Failing this it will use DNS, and then finally broadcast.
> (This is in respect to the name resolve order given above, however
> win32
> boxes may not necessarily do it in this order.)  For sanity sake, it
> also makes sense to have your win32 NetBIOS names be identical to their
> IP host names.

I have no idea about all of this. Warren helped me with the Samba setup
so he would know better.

> 	# make this number artifically high
> 	os level = 80
> 	preferred master = True