[luau] thumb drive, incremental backup

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Fri Oct 3 10:25:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 08:58:28PM -1000, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> %!/bin/sh
> BACKUP_DATE=`date +%y%m%d`
> find /home/xxxxx -mtime -7 -type f -print > backup.weekly
> tar -cvz -T backup.weekly -f backup.weekly.$BACKUP_DATE.tgz
>
> Comment: you can put an ampersand at the end of each line (but separated
> by a space) so the process will be done in the background.  But I like
> to see what's going on when I do the backups.

Since each following command is dependent on the previous
command, putting each in a separate background process will
actually cause the script to break.

It is safer to run the script in the background instead of each
command in the background.

And if you want your backups to work millenium compatible, then
using %Y to give the 4 digit year will hold up better. It is
pedantic, but I am the kind that dates my checks yyyy/mm/dd. :)

-Vince