[luau] Need a Help for Samba

Jon Reynolds jonr at destar.net
Mon Nov 24 14:19:01 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 14:25, humu2nuku2apuaa at eml.cc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problem in Samba in my office.
> I could successfully installed Redhat 9 on one of the computers in my
> office
>
> We just need to share some files with about 10 windows 2000/XP clients,
> So I did not use any domain controller or winbind (Actually, I do not
> have any knowledge of these.)  I want to share files with Microsoft File
> Sharing.
>
> The problem is like this.
> Windows clients can access Linux server and read and write files
> perfectly.  However, when a Windows user logout from current machine and
> other users login that machine, the user can only access to the Linux
> server and neither can see any other computer in our workgroup nor
> access to the internet.
>
> I attached my smb.conf.  Anybody, please give me advice.
>
> Glen

> # This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
> # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
> # here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
> # many!) most of which are not shown in this example
> #
> # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
> # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
> # for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
> # may wish to enable
> #
> # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
> "testparm"
> # to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
> #
> #======================= Global Settings
> =====================================
> [global]
> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> load printers = yes
> passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
> *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> obey pam restrictions = yes
> username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> encrypt passwords = yes
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> dns proxy = no
> server string = Our Linux Server
> printing = cups
> unix password sync = Yes
> workgroup = workgroup
> os level = 20
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> create mode = 766
> max log size = 0
> pam password change = yes
> directory mode = 777
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = no
> valid users = %S
> writeable = yes
> create mode = 0664
> directory mode = 0775
>
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> [...]

Are you saying that nobody can see the shared folder in your network
neighborhood? Im not sure I understand what you are asking but if it is
that you can't see the share on the Linux server then you need to add:

[share]
comment = Shared files
writeable = yes
path = /var/share
browseable = yes #add this to see the share in Windows

and restart smbd.

HTH,

Jon