[luau] server-friendly broadband in Honolulu

J. David Beutel jdb at getsu.com
Fri Nov 14 16:00:01 PST 2003

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a personal broadband ISP in Honolulu that is (Linux)
server-friendly?  I want an IP address that's at least global, if not
permanent, with no blocked ports or rules forbidding servers.  I've seen
3 ISPs on Oceanic Cable and a slow Verizon ADSL, but these details I'm
looking for are hard to find, as they don't apply to the typical home
user.  So I'm hoping there's another atypical user like me on this list.

I'm moving from Tokyo to Honolulu and trying to decide what to do with
my (personal) SMTP and IMAP server.  In Tokyo I'm using YahooBB (12Mbps
ADSL) and Dyndns (and Linux, of course).  I've been meaning to run an
LDAP and web server, too.  But my servers only use a trickle of
bandwidth, so even Verizon's 0.3Mbps ADSL would be fast enough, if the
service is right.

Of course, I could get everything I need with a commercial subscription,
but since I'm not using this commercially, I doubt that the price would
be justifiable.  Another option is for me to find a place to leave a
server in Tokyo, so I'd like to figure this out before I move to
Honolulu.  I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience with me.

Thanks,
11011011