[luau] kernel advice

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 14 09:38:48 PST 2003

I'm trying FC1 out on a couple of computers, but I keep coming up with
little errors, though I honestly don't know if they're FC1 issues or
independent software issues, but I'm trying to find out.  Some are java
related.  Some wierd problems with threads.  But, I was running jre
1.3x, and from looking through the FC1 release notes, I can see why (the
problems are thread related).  Now I've bumped up to jre 1.42, and the
thread problems have gone away, but now I'm having some AWT widget/event
oddities (example: a client gets feedback that a state changed on the
server, and then calls the select() function on a choice widget.
Calling select() shouldn't generate an event, but it does, and the event
then changes the value on the server, which then calls back to the
client to update, which generates an event, and so on forever).  I'm
testing to see if I'd have these problems running the newer jre on a rh9
machine (they didn't show up on my rh7.3 machine).

I'd like to use FC1 for this system, but not sure if it'll work out.  I
only have so much time to put into it.  I like FC1 though, it's looking
pretty cool.

-Charles