[luau] "KaKaako" Linux Project

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sun Nov 9 23:11:00 PST 2003

To: Everyone in Oahu who is interested in Linux

Aloha,

As I mentioned previously, I was going to put together a demo Fedora
desktop to be placed in Honolulu City Councilman RodTam's office (so as
to hopefully make Linux a part of his Kakaako "International
Multi-Cultrual Center" project).

This system, which was installed on a Shuttle XPC and is intended to be,
at least initially, a stand-alone unit, will be delivered Monday.  I
hate to rush it, but from Tuesday to Saturday, NAPABA (National Asian
Pacific American Bar Association) will hold its annual conventional at
Ilikai.  Thereafter, I will be out of town for an extended duration.
Although it was Councilman Tam's idea to put a Linux desktop in his
office, if his staff members don't like it, or couldn't make use of it,
this project will be a stillborn.

Initially, I was talking to Warren about putting together an additional
Fedora mirror.  However, after some thoughts, I believe a mirror will
only serve geeks, and this is the last thing I wanted to do.  Thus, I
plan to make Fedora CDs more widely available instead.  I am interested
in compressing the districution to a single CD (for workstation use
only).  Please post your thoughts or communicate to me if you have any
experience in putting togegher Linux distribution CDs.

Two additional issues that I think can further expand the adaptability
of Linux desktops.  First, the Fedora Core team has done a remarkable
job of integrating OpenOffice.org 1.1 into the OS.  Those who have
skills in further integrating OOo with database and/or scripting
programs will be in good demand.  Perhaps someone can start a dialog (or
a workshop) here about office automation using OOo?

Secondly, I am interested in setting up a vnc (virtual network
computing) for those Windows (or Mac) users who are interested in
playing with Linux to have a hands-on experience (and see how far Linux
has advanced) without going through the trouble of installing it.
Anyone who is interested in helping me to operate it (with or w/o
experience) please let me know.  At the present time, I don't know where
to put the server, nor do I know how expensive the required bandwidth
may be.  But this is not urgent.

Things are finally becoming exciting.  Mahalo.

W. Wayne Liauh, Ph.D. (Chem. Eng.), J.D.
Attorney and Counselor at Law