[luau] Fedora Core 1 Released

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Nov 6 09:39:01 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 08:50, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> So far, the comments I received were, before the Fedora Core 1 release,
> RedHat seemed to have shot its own foot by reneging on its previous
> commitment and shifting the responsibility to a yet-to-be proven
> volunteer group.   But now everyone seems to be shocked by the extremely
> nice quality of Fedora.

What most people don't realize is that Fedora Core 1 is pretty much the
same thing as RH9 in the people who made it and the processes.
fedora.us and fedora.redhat.com are still not fully merged, and the full
community participation of distribution development isn't really
happening in full force until probably Fedora Core 2.  In the mean time
many standards documents and infrastructure coding has to be made.

A large part of that infrastructure is about to be announced available
for public testing at fedora-devel* lists.  All code written for the
server backend for the Fedora Project will be fully Open Source, so
others can reproduce the procedures and processes elsewhere easily.
Stay tuned...

> I have not installed it.  But I have heard that Samba 3 still does not
> work right in Konqueror, and, as in its predecessor versions, MP3 is not
> included.  These should be easily remedied by a post-installation
> customization.  wayne

Konqueror and Nautilus were always acting funny with not only Windows
shares, but other network shares like SFTP.  I hope they fix those bugs
one day...

MP3 is encumbered by patents and thus too risky for an American
company/organization to distribute.  I suspect European companies SuSE
and Mandrake have not felt it risky since they are based in Germany and
France respectively, but I wonder what it means for the future now that
SuSE is owned by Novell.

Warren