[luau] Odd X question

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Nov 6 09:29:01 PST 2003

Dustin Cross wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> I have an odd X question.  I am looking for an X application like Exceed,
> but I need one that runs on Solaris.  I know we can redirect teh X display
> to Solaris with normal X.  The probem is we have a few unix applications
> that take over the entire desktop.  We are using multi-monitor solaris
> systems and want to have each application on a different monitor.  I am
> currently thinking about using VNC, but I thought I would ask if anyone
> know of an alternative.  We would prefer to not have to install another
> application (like VNC) on the servers, so a X application like Exceed that
> runs on Solaris would be great.
>
> Mahalo,
> Dusty

Will the app take over the entire desktop, or just one display?

If it only takes one display (Which shoulds like the proper behavior, but many
apps were not written with multi-head setups in mind), just set
DISPLAY="host:0.x" where x is the number of the monitor and the app should pop
up on that screen.

--MonMotha