[luau] Which Distribution To Go With

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Wed Nov 5 12:21:00 PST 2003

I don't insist a CD/DVD install.  I expect it.

I can't recommend a networked install without first knowing more about the
end user's limitations.  Not only is deb's catchpenny  installation
time-consuming, on an average connection, or worse, dial-up, a net install
is completely unfeasible.  Especially for anyone with time-constraints or
a short attention span.  A lot of Debian users get a kick out of debasing
n00bs this way.  They supply such a plethora of information and variable
means to one end that the user is either intimidated out of the pursuit of
Linux or, should the user seek help, not get it from #Debian.  Mix that
with the average US-condescending European attitude and it's a real
pisser.

This inferior US deb-user [1] support drastically effects the end result.
Take the BBB for instance.  They referred regional communities (including
Hawaii) to outsource to a debian-using developer in Salt Lake and they had
more vulnerabilities than a stick could ever be shook at.  After further
consult I found they knew nothing about Debian and where to get support
for it commercially in America after having experiences similar to those
above.  But this is a digression into the business realm, hence, they were
long due for migration to RHE.  There is no solution to this symptom
before this is a cause.  The cause was it was the wrong OS for the
particular company.  They would have done fine with Red Hat or Windows
(pfft!).

If your actually considering a net-install though, Red Hat's net install
is much easier on end users because it's simpler, visual and more
thought-out for users who haven't read all the forums and release notes
and documentation.  RH's netboot is identical to installing from CDs in
every way except it doesn't even require a CD (a single floppy is
available).  I have not tried a netboot image with Fedora.

At least I am not afraid to say more than "distro-x is something you can
count on".

Tom

[1] http://www.beatnix.org

This part says the most, or the least, about your breadth of
experience.   Sorry, but if you insist on a cd install, the mini iso,

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/